Our Plus One {part I}.

Friday, September 13, 2013





It's been a dream come true.

The day I found out I was pregnant, it wasn't really a surprise to me at all. We had had a whirlwind of crazy weeks prior filled with finals, moving out of our second apartment together, my BYU graduation, having family in town, and then going to California to visit Tanner's family. Now, I know people cringe in awkwardness (myself more than anyone) when they hear people say that they have been "trying" to get pregnant. Well, folks we were those people. After my false reality of getting pregnant right away was shattered and I realized with every good thing in life you have to muster up a little bit of patience (which is not my forte), it happened. Thankfully my patience wasn't tried as hard as it could have and I feel for those women who have to experience much more waiting because when you are ready to start a family, even one month of no good news is one month too many. But it was in California when in a moment of random exhaustion and slight nausea that I laid there and knew something was different. I was going to be a mother.

The very moment we got home back in Utah, I took the test and thankfully I wasn't surprised. I remember a flood of emotions going through me. Every emotion you could think of, I had. But more than anything I felt excitement. Excitement to tell my partner in crime, my love who waited every minute for this blessing with me, that he was going to be a father. Now sidenote*, I feel like my life is full of these kind of moments where for years and years I've imagined in my perfect movie script mind how it will play out. From what I would say, to my elegant hand gestures, and the picture perfect tear in my eye to what he would say in response. But like all the other moments in my life, it always happens a little more like real life (cue my "aha" moment). Yes, so my perfect dramatic timing was thrown off by me being so darn excited and my words came out a little too clumsy but still, it was perfect. It was a real moment shared with no other than my perfect husband, and I will never forget that moment we shared together.

Now that week was flawless. I couldn't wait to tell my best friend the news--my very own Mama--especially since she had been with me through all my disappointment and to share my excitement with her was the funnest thing imaginable. But telling my Dad was one of the sweetest experiences of my life and the look on his face was something I'll never forget. There is no doubt in my mind that that man will be the most loving grandpa in the world, just like I was blessed to have. And then Tanner and I had way too much fun seeing the absolute shock of Tanner's family and my siblings when we told them the news. To top it off, I felt GREAT. I was almost worried at how amazing I was feeling. But that worry seemed to disappear quite quickly.

When I hit 6 weeks pregnant, to the day, the nausea hit me full force. And to make a very very long story short, the nausea and all that fun stuff that comes with it didn't leave till I hit around 20 weeks. Yep, you heard that right that's about 4 months straight of absolute misery.  And even now, at 23 weeks, it comes and goes in waves. But now at least it is somewhat manageable and I can actually attempt to function normally. Oh you can bet this little one is going to hear about all it put it's mama through. Thanks little one.


No comments

Post a Comment

{don't be shy-- comment away}

Blogging tips